Rapid-Response Grants for Groups, Nonprofits and Coalitions in the U.S.
About Third Wave Fund: Third Wave Fund is the only national fund that supports youth-led gender justice activism to advance the political power, well-being, and self determination of communities of color and low-income communities in the United States.
What is the Mobilize Power Fund?
A rapid response fund for direct action and community mobilizing.
Please visit Third Wave’s website for all current information and further details on how to apply.
Third Wave’s Mobilize Power Fund is a rapid response fund that supports the leadership of young women of color, trans, gender non-conforming, queer, and intersex youth in social movements.
- Proposals are accepted all year, and reviewed on the 15th day of the month. Faster reviews are possible for emergencies.
- Groups will be notified within one to two weeks, and checks will be mailed within 1 week.
- Grants can be made for up to $3,000 USD. Larger grants may be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Coalitions or join proposals can request up to $3,000 per group. For example, if a joint application is submitted by two organizations, you can request up to $6,000.
Why was it created?
To support bold activism in real time.
We launched this fund because powerful movements need the ability to respond to immediate threats and opportunities with flexible and responsive funding opportunities.
Who can apply?
Coalitions, informal groups, and nonprofit organizations.
Organizations do not need a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or a fiscal sponsor to receive funding. We make this clear to strongly encourage grassroots organizations, groups, and collectives led by and for young people of color, and low-income communities to apply. Not sure if you’re a fit? Email email@example.com or call us at 917-387-1262.
- Gender Justice Focus is Clear: Your political analysis and project specifically address patriarchy, transphobia, gender inequity or gender-based violence.
- Community Leadership & Accountability: Organizations are led by the communities they serve and are responsive and accountable to those communities.
- Timely, Urgent & Strategic: The event or situation your responding to was unanticipated and requires urgent action that is well thought out with clear goals and desired outcomes.
- Young Women/Trans/GNC/Intersex-Led: Young women of color, trans, queer, gender non-conforming, and/or intersex activists are a core part of the decision making process.
- Organizational Need: We will prioritize organizations with budgets under $500,000 and that are based in areas with limited access to philanthropic resources.
Third Wave holds the following beliefs:
- People directly impacted by an issue are best positioned to design and lead solutions.
- The leadership of young women of color, trans, intersex, queer and gender non-conforming youth brings critical analysis and power to all social justice movements.
- We will only achieve deep and lasting change if we address the root cause of an issue.